Wednesday, April 20, 2011

money can't buy you class

flashback to 35 days ago....

me: maybe i should give up something for lent just to see what it's like.
hubs: that's a good idea. what do you want to give up?
me: i don' know. what do you think?
hubs: how about sugar?
me: no way. i don't eat that much sugar but i already know my mom is baking next week and i want to eat sweets. so it would be one week of no sugar. and it's the one week that matters most. NEXT.
hubs: ok, how about caffeine?
me: no way in hell. i live off coffee.
hubs: yeah, that would be impossible for you.
mewhat about shopping? 
hubs: wow, really? that's actually a good one. 
me: yeah, that would actually be giving up something that means the most. think of all the money i'd save. (sigh) i already regret this.

so to keep it legit, we made some rules. namely, we decided to differentiate the types of shopping - want vs. need.

for example, the cute dress on giltgroupe = want. groceries = need.

my hubs also informed me that asking my mom to buy something for me was a violation (good try, mom. but the hubs was on to us).

so the next month consisted of me going online, building up an enormous shopping bag/cart, and then exiting the site. this basically happened every. single. day. but, i didn't break (i know. i'm really surprised too.)

near the end it has been getting a little desperate. i think "what if i just buy nail polish? does that count?" (yes. the answer is yes). i actually look forward to going grocery shopping (more so than usual...who doesn't love to buy produce?) and probably, the most cruel and disturbing of them all - i took my hubs shopping for new clothes. nothing says i love you like watching a significant other try on clothes for 3 hours.

but in a few days, lent will come to an end and so will my hiatus from shopping. admittedly, the past month has taught me several valuable lessons -

  1. i'm not catholic. lent is optional.
  2. every item i've ever wanted went on sale in the past 30 days.
  3. jcrew sends me coupons only when i can't use them.
  4. my will and stubborn nature are stronger than my love for shopping. think of what i could do if i only applied myself?
so now the question is do i keep saving or do i buy the most expensive item on my wish list?

i don't know about you but i agree with carrie....

"i like my money right where i can see it - hanging in my closet."  - carrie bradshaw, satc

No comments:

Post a Comment