Thursday, February 11, 2010

couture for the soul

in the past week, mother nature has blanketed the washington dc area in mounds of snow. it was pretty for a minute but after being inside for the past 6 days, enough is enough. telecommuting has killed any joy this amount of snow could bring. while people are proclaiming snow days and the federal goverment has shut down, my days are spent with conference calls, write-ups, and more conference calls. all day, every day. i'm cranky, i'm tired, and, most importantly, i'm cold.

so yesterday, come 6pm, i needed saving. forget chicken soup.  i needed couture for the soul...and i didn't even know it.

after watching worthless movies this week like "role models," i wasn't in the mood for stupid 18-35 y.o. male-targeted comedy (the movie, despite what my brother promised, was not funny). i've had "changeling" on my dvr for weeks and, really, the last person i want to stare at for 2 hours right now is angelina (i think the world needs a break from her and brad. seriously.). and there's only so many times i can watch an old "what not to wear" rerun (how are these people so poorly dressed?!). see, i told you i'm cranky. anyway, thank god for netflix instant play. thank god!

i cuddled up in my bed under my soft cable knit blanket, with my mac beside me and started to watch valentino: the last emperor. streams of pale pink, white,and red chiffon. hand-sewn beading and sequins.  all with paris and rome as their backdrop. yes please (said as the wind whips snow against my bedroom window). as mother nature and the 2+ feet of snow attempted to drain my happiness, mr. valentino was able to replenish my mind with beautiful things...beautiful couture things. (bellisimo!) europe lifted my mood (how is that everything seems more sophisticated in europe?) even hearing valentino berate and insult everyone in italian cheered me up (and yes, mr. valentino, i completely agree that an evening gown that shows a woman's ankles as she walks is the most disgusting thing i've seen).

today, the sun is shining. the snow is melting. things are looking up!

..............until the weatherman promised more snow come monday. [sigh]

No comments:

Post a Comment